Various teams within the finance department needed to easily access and manipulate ESR payroll data in various ways because otherwise reporting/ queries may be time consuming and sometimes inconsistent.
How might we provide timely and accurate ESR payroll information without having to repeatedly download files so that time is saved and data manipulation is minimised?
The tangible products that came from our innovation were:
- additional audit assurance that NIC/ pensions are correct
- being able to reconcile the ESR output to what is in the ledger. The ESR output has much more data than ledger information so more detailed analysis can be carried out
- ability to reconcile the gross to net reports and obtain further information behind the element names
- ability to obtain ad-hoc data quickly, for example Freedom of Information Act requests, overtime information etc.
- ability to look at directorate or speciality level using the hierarchy and ability to look at staff groups using the subjective hierarchy
- 20 months of payslip information at a glance.
The benefits of the innovation are that staff in the department no longer need to look within a monthly pdf for payslips, nor do they have to login to ESR to download data which could often be time consuming. This solution gives the department extensive information within one file stored locally.