Let’s Talk Money – travel and transport tips
Read the latest blog written by Lee-Ann Suffield, Health and Wellbeing Team Office Administrator at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust who has some handy thoughts and ideas about cost saving for transport and travel.
Whether you take a bus to work or take a train to see family and friends, almost everyone in the UK relies on some form of transport.
With rising fuel costs and ticket prices, you may be worried about how to manage with increasing travel expenses. Here are a number of cost saving tips in each of the below transport options which you may find helpful.
Public transport discounts
Did you know the Trust has linked with several companies to offer staff discounts on public transport. Including the Corporate M Card,
First bus, Arriva and the Park and Ride – Public transport discounts
- Find out if you qualify for a discount pass – Support to help with the cost of transport – GOV.UK
- Consider getting a season ticket – Ticket prices | First Bus
- Look out for special deals – Arriva Bus Ticket Offers and Promotions
- Use free bus services – Releases | Metro Bus
- Book train tickets in advance
- Get a Railcard – UK Digital Railcards
- Travel outside of peak times where possible
- Check online for discount codes
- Sign up for train operator emails and follow their social media accounts
- Book your train through cashback websites – Trainline Discounts, Offers & Cashback Deals | TopCashback
- Share cabs where possible
- Take advantage of refer-a-friend codes
- Ask for flat rates for long-distance journeys
- Ask for a cheaper deal on regular cab travel
Active travel and cycle to work
Walking, running or cycling to work or for social activity is a great way to support your mental and physical health.
Lots of colleagues already participate in Active travel and you could also take advantage of the NHS cycle to work scheme – Cycling to Work – Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust (leedsth.nhs.uk)
The Trust has partnered with Liftshare to give staff an alternative to public transport for sustainable travel. By sharing your regular commute, you can help save money on travel and parking and help save the environment by reducing harmful carbon emissions – sign up to Liftshare